Pages



My Mouth: All of It: One Man, One Place, All Said

On Facebook: Tales, storytelling, fables: http://facebook.com/AnthonyTrendl

Executive Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Slaying the Dragon of Humidity: 4.92 Miles at Sunset

Painting by Gustave Moreau depicting Saint George slaying the dragon4.92 miles - 39:41 (8:04/mile) [first 4.42 miles - 35:46 (8:06/mile)]
0.5 mile warmdown

total: 5.42 miles

84°F
Current:Clear
Wind: SW at 1 mph
Humidity: 59%

finish
84°F
Current:Clear
Wind: SW at 1 mph
Humidity: 59%

Not bad for a hot night. The sun eagerly called it a day as I made my big lap around COD.

The storms last night (see pics on my friend Catherine's site) took out a number of trees and brush, and realigned some lawn furniture, but all is more or less intact. We are blessed -- those in my complex got together, hunkered in a corridor while the sky flooded with a murky green mist, and got to know each other better.

Throw in a major storm, complete with Wrigley Field emptying tornado warnings, and still, there is plenty of water in humidity form. Of all that changed, the humidity remains high. I ran with this reality check.

Truth be told, my first 2.5 miles were pretty quick, maybe too fast, at 7:38/mile. I hoped to hold on, but it was not to be. I never crashed or bonked, but I slowed. Keeping close to 8:00.mile is good, particularly with the hills after the 2.5 mile mark. This heat/humidity thing is very much my nemesis; an average run on a hot day slays the failures I have endured.

My miles are back into a steady state again, averaging 26-27 miles/week for the last two weeks.

No comments: