Pages



My Mouth: All of It: One Man, One Place, All Said

On Facebook: Tales, storytelling, fables: http://facebook.com/AnthonyTrendl

Executive Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Little Run on the Prairie: 5.5 at Springbrook

5.5 miles (52:48 - 9:36/mile)
0.25 miles hardwalk

total: 5.75 miles

82°F
Current: Partly Cloudy
Wind: N at 0 mph
Humidity: 30%
course: Springbrook Prairie

Good friend David Dane, getting serious about weight loss, joined me on a trip to Springbrook Prairie in Naperville, IL. He's new to running, and his knees are still learning what great fun long runs can be. Today, he galloped a solid 1.25 miles and hiked another 0.75 of a mile.

Me - This was my first real run outside in months. This isn't dismissing my adventures on the track, but to be ready to race, I need what the trail offers. In tonight's case, I also needed the challenge of choice. This means that on a track, the most I have to walk if I give up is 200 m. At Springbrook, the stakes are higher. Halfway is 2.75 miles. At the 3.5 mile marker, I was tanked, but knew there was only one way home. Walk or run, two miles laid between my and resting.

The run was uneventful other than a strange guy who wanted to point out my headphones were a bad idea, that he preferred to use the time to think. I agree, and am no stranger to a long thoughtful run, but what I need right now is to free my mind and relax. I think all day. It comes with being a writer. He doesn't know this, and his way is certainly a good way.

No comments: