Pages



My Mouth: All of It: One Man, One Place, All Said

On Facebook: Tales, storytelling, fables: http://facebook.com/AnthonyTrendl

Executive Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

Friday, September 10, 2010

The Red Bandana: Only 600,000 Steps To Fitness


There are 7,136,000 steps to Anchorage, Alaska from my home in Wheaton, IL. That is 3,568 miles for those of you without MapQuest open.

I researched this. Walking on a treadmill, I counted 200 steps for 0.10 of a mile and multiplied accordingly. MedLine Plus says I need to burn 3,500 extra calories to lose a pound, which requires around 30 miles. If I want to lose 10 pounds, then, after all the math is done, 600,000 is between me and fitness. That is, I will lose that weight if I don't replace those calories at Portillos eating their delicious chocolate cake.

How many pairs of running shoes are needed to get to Alaska? I don't know. I'd rather count how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop (find out how many here?). I am sure I would blow a hole in my sneakers long before arriving at the Canadian border. I wonder of my running shoe manufacturer has my size in snowshoes?

Since my current weekly walking and running mileage is around 25, I would need two years, nine months to get there. Hmm. I think I'll see if I have enough frequent flyer miles.

Is That Me?
"I stink therefore I ran." Philosopher Rene Descartes may have said that after a run. Hitting the gym after a long day, plodding through four miles, I took a sniff. Was that me? No one on the treadmill on my right or left. The window was in front of me, and an aisle was behind me. It was me.

Am I proud of this odiferous state? Not at all, but it is a natural reality all of us endure. It is something which sometimes comes from working out depending on genetics, diet and hygiene. Usually, BO isn't my MO, but on this day, it was bad. Good thing the gym was almost empty.

Wikipedia (from which all truth comes) tells me propionic acid is the basic cause of my stench. I am not sure what that is, but the word comes from the Greek: protos = "first" and pion = "fat". Yes, fat. Thanks, Greece. I already know I need to lose weight.

Am I losing this precious fat of mine? Not yet. My resting pulse rate is dropping, I am sleeping better, and overall am feeling better, but the scale has yet to agree with all of this. In time, it will.

Doing the right things will eventually bring good results when it comes to fitness. Soon, I expect to see my weight dropping. It will not happen overnight, but through diligent and careful exercise, and watching the goodies we eat. Trust the process and wait for the results. In six months, you will be glad you did.

Running Playlist Song of the WeekWalking On Sunshine by Kimberley Rew, as performed by Katrina and The Waves, 1983
Quite possibly the most feel-good hit on the 1980s, "Walking On Sunshine" has it all. High energy, upbeat lyrics , with consistent intensity makes it this week's choice.
"I'm walking on sunshine, woooahand don't it feel good!"

Next Week
Remember the PADs Walk/Run. September 11, 2010, 8:00 am at 703 W. Liberty, Wheaton, IL. 10K/5K Run and 3.6K Walk. $30 if you sign up now, $35 on the day of race.

-------------------

Writer Anthony Trendl loves BBQs, folk music and porches. Recently divorced from his couch, he looks to running as he battles midlife and his mid-section. Find out more at anthonytrendl.com

For more about my running adventures, see A Runner's Dilemma (workout details, videos and more)

Click here to contact me.
The Red Bandana: Finding Fitness Through the Joy of Running

No comments: