Pages



My Mouth: All of It: One Man, One Place, All Said

On Facebook: Tales, storytelling, fables: http://facebook.com/AnthonyTrendl

Executive Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch review: Timex Can Do Better: Never Use at Night

I ask one thing of the Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch, and it delivers: count my pulse. What I did not expect is that it would be as accurate as it is.

I compared to various treadmills I run on, including Life Fitness Club Series Treadmill and found the watch more accurate than the handlebar pulse monitors.

* The chest straps fits well enough for me.
* Modes are easy to switch.
* The watch fits fine, but can be a little difficult to take off.
* My average heart rate worked well.
* Easy to use lap function. As mostly a neighborhood street and dedicate running/biking path runner, I use this when I cross the street.
* The Indiglo light is difficult to see - not especially bright, and the button for it is in a difficult to reach spot while running (top left as opposed to front). After a few miles, when I just a quick look, it can be a nuisance while running through a shady area. In fact, while lit, unless in a pitch black environment, the numbers are actually more difficult to see.
* The description says, "The Night Mode feature allows you to illuminate the Indiglo night-light for 3 seconds with any button press, regardless of the mode or function." I was unable to get this to work with any other button.

For the price, I would like to see better engineering. While I understand this is an entry level pulse monitor, set-up is an unnecessary challenge.

Anthony Trendl
http://runnersdilemma.blogspot.com/

No comments: