Pages



My Mouth: All of It: One Man, One Place, All Said

On Facebook: Tales, storytelling, fables: http://facebook.com/AnthonyTrendl

Executive Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

Monday, January 21, 2013

The State of Fitness

It has been a strange road I have traveled as a runner. In shape, out of shape, in very good shape, on very poor shape. A lot of start-stop-starts.

I miss being in great shape.

As 2013 came forward, having dealt with some challenges that knocked me pretty hard, I decided to take a different approach. John "The Penguin" Bingham posted on Facebook his 100 Day Challenge. The gist, as I understand it, is to exercise 30 minutes a day for 100 days in a row. He defined what counted loosely, and offered that a person could break things into two halves of 15 minutes apiece. I decided to try this, unworried about workouts as a runner, and think entirely about mere exercise.

I started a day or two early, believing any good resolution starts the moment you realize its value. Officially, I am only counting from January 1, 2013. Day 100 will be April 10.

At first, I only walked, then mixed running and walking. My walking pace in at, or a little slower than, 15:00/mile. My running pace is usually 9-10:00/mile.

Today (Sunday, January 20) I was tired from previous days and so I just walked two miles. Since there are no rest days, I'll walk as many days as it takes to find fresh legs.

20 days -- one fifth of the challenge is complete. Harder days are ahead.

About all of this -- I am not weighing myself until April. I am not planning my workout, at least for now, taking each day as it comes, desiring only to complete 30 minutes.

While I am also not counting calories, I am trying not to eat until I'm full, and otherwise ignoring basic hunger if I have already eaten. And so on, about my diet. I'm eating a little less. Not much less.

100 days is a long time and know simply that if I eat less and am diligent about exercise, I will lose sometging by April.

I'm planning some races this spring. Maybe three or four 5ks. No expectations.

4 comments:

Pete B said...

Sounds like a good thing that you are taking it slowly and not over-doing the exercise. Also, I think your diet strategy is sound: Nothing radical, just cutting back here and there. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your progress.

A said...

Thanks, Pete.

Better since I posted. Lost, think, eight pounds. Maybe 10-15 to go.

Getting as high as 27 miles in a week, as far as six miles. 85 miles January. Still notching away at it, but I've done something every day this year. Working out, but not yet in training mode.

Looking toward a local 5K or two in March just to see how things are.

How's winter turning out for you?

Pete B said...

Anthony,

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. I have been sidelined the last 2.5 weeks with an ankle injury. I've been working out in the pool and doing some yoga, but no running. I hope to be back at it soon then cram some quality miles in before Boston.

A said...

Get Boston done, and then, after you find your legs again, let's go for a run.